Sunday, June 19, 2011

The City and the City

by China Meiville

I purchased this book for my Kindle as soon as it came out but didn't get around to reading it until now for the Once Upon A Time Challenge. I absolutely loved it and have been recommending it to everyone I know. Even people that say they won't like fantasy will enjoy this one.

The story is cloaked as a hard-boiled police procedural with a Detective investigating a murder. What makes the story unique is that it is set in two cities, Beszel a decaying and run down city and Ul Qoma, a modern bustling booming metropolis. Detective Tyodor lives and works in Beszel but an unusual murder case takes him to the city of Ul Qoma. I don't want to give too much away as it is such a pleasure to figure out the connection between these two cities and what exactly is going on as you read the book. The real mystery for the reader isn't the murder, it is the city and the city.

I absolutely loved this book. It is completely original and yet so well realized. The characters were interesting but the cities were by far the most engrossing. Read it, you will enjoy it.

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

I had listened to the first part of this on audio when it was originally released and was convinced that I finally found a Meiville book that I liked. Then it came due at the library and I was into something else so I took it back. I've been meaning to pick it up again because I was truly enjoying the narration.

Moo said...

Carl, you should definitely finish it, it only gets better as Detective Tyodor's investigation takes him to Ul Qoma. I think you would really enjoy it.