Sunday, February 28, 2010

Guernsey Literary and Potatoe Peel Society

by Mary Ann Shaffer

This is one of those books that gets so much hype that I don’t really want to read it. But then I was looking for something short and light to put on my ipod for a trip to my brothers. Cute is the word that comes to mind when I think of this book and I am usually more of a Franz Kafka - H.P. Lovecraft kind of girl. But you know how sometimes you happen to read the right book at the right time in the right place? I was staying in my niece’s very cute bedroom at my brother’s house (my niece being all grown up and in her own house with her own daughter) and each night I would crawl in bed early and/or wake up early in the morning and listen to some of Juliet’s adventures in Guernsey. I enjoyed the epistolary format. I had never even heard of Guernsey and found the information about the Channel Islands fascinating. The characters were fun and diverse (and the narrators in my audio version did an amazing job with the different characters). All in all it was a delightful short diversion.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was also hesitant to read this book because of the hype, but the book charmed me once I started reading it.

- Christy

Moo said...

I agree it was charming and I have recommended it to several people who have also enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

i felt the same reluctance you did in picking this up, and as you were, I was pleasantly surprised. I thought it was one of my favorite reads for 2009. I can just picture you in that sweet bedroom reading!